The LPB Executive Committee (ExComm) met at the Central Brevard Library in Cocoa on
November 18, 1998. The meeting commenced at 6:00 PM. Members present were Lee McLamb
(Chair), David Hobbs (Vice Chair), Luke Setzer (Secretary and Web Site Chair), Ross
Nordeen (Membership Chair), Richard Hall (Editorial Chair), and John Cornett (Treasurer).
- Officer Reports:
- Chair: Lee McLamb reported that he attended a recent Libertarian Party of
Florida (LPF) ExComm meeting. Among the LPF's items of discussion was a statement of
intent to incorporate the LPF, which would limit the liability of its officers. The
LPF ExComm encouraged its affiliates to do likewise. He also noted that Success '99
was coming to Orlando January 16-17, and observed that the LPB ExComm members need to go
ahead and get their registrations in the mail. The LPF has commenced Project
X-Pansion, in which it intends to gain 2000 new members by the year 2000. The
LPF ExComm stated that 10% participation of registered Libertarians in a county
affiliate's activities is about average, and this is about what the LPB currently
experiences. Lee emphasized once again that membership growth is critical for any
significant impact on local politics.
- Vice-Chair: David Hobbs reworked the old Chair Planner's Guide
goal-setting worksheets. After much discussion, it was decided to downsize the total
number of LPB committees from nine to three. The three committees reflect the
primary areas of focus for the LPB. The first two correlate to the long-range
programs of the LPB's rewritten Mission Statement: Electoral Victory and Membership.
The third committee rolls several committees into one: Media. That
committee will serve the first two committees. An announcement will be made at the
next general meeting to get these committees properly chaired and populated.
- Treasurer: John Cornett provided an updated balance sheet of income and
- Secretary: No report.
- Committee Reports:
- Membership: Ross Nordeen recited the need for additional members to help with
the phone tree. An open call will be made at the next general meeting for additional
help with this key task. Ross also said he would be willing to step aside and assume
the role of Electoral Victory Committee Chair should a newcomer want to take over the
Membership Committee. Such a shuffle would have the advantage of inducting a new
trainee into the ExComm while retaining its experience base.
- Public Relations: No report (absent). This function will be rolled into
the Media Committee.
- Web Site: Luke Setzer said he would generate the changes necessary to the
ExComm web pages to account for the committee consolidations. The Web Site Committee
will be rolled into the Media Committee.
- Editorial: Richard Hall said he would be willing to assume the role of Chair of
the new Media Committee.
- Special Activities: David Hobbs continues preparations for an Operation
Politically Homeless (OPH) booth at the Melbourne Cannabis Freedom Festival (CFF) November
21-22. David will work with Ross Nordeen to prepare the LPB parade sign for public
display at the CFF.
- Monthly LPB Meeting
- Determine Projects for December Meeting: The December meeting will be held at
the home of Lee McLamb December 5 at 6:00 PM. The primary focus of the December meeting
will be to discuss what sorts of activites will be planned for 1999, with an emphasis on
membership recruitment and increased participation.
- Projects and Activities
- OPH Booth: Luke Setzer has finalized the volunteers' hours of work.
- Adopt-A-Road: No report.
- New Projects: Membership drives per earlier statements.
- Annual Budget: No report.
- LPB Sign Painting: The interior of the sign needs to be painted prior to the
CFF. David Hobbs will work this with Ross Nordeen.
Meeting adjourned at 8:00 PM.