The LPB Executive Committee (ExComm) met at Central Brevard Library in Cocoa on
February 17, 1999. The meeting commenced at 6:30 PM. Members present were Lee McLamb
(Chair), Luke Setzer (Secretary), Ross Nordeen (Membership Chair), Richard Hall (Media
Chair), and David Hobbs (Vice Chair). Absent was John Cornett (Treasurer).
- Officer Reports:
- Chair: Lee McLamb reminded us of the upcoming "Platform Presentation"
February 25. He stated that he would open the presentation with an overview of the
non-aggression principle. Lee also requested that ExComm meetings be moved to first
and third Wednesdays at Choo Choo's B-B-Q and Lounge in Cocoa. All the other members
seemed friendly to that idea. Finally, he reported that the upcoming audit may cost
substantially more than originally planned.
- Vice-Chair: David Hobbs said it was important to start finding Libertarians to
fill open slots in local government. He said he would forward the LPB Webmaster
(Luke Setzer) the information about these openings for posting onto the LPB web site.
He also noted that we should call all LPB volunteers and paid members to help with
this effort. He closed by stating that applications submitted to local government
for various appointed positions are good for one year.
- Treasurer: No report (absent).
- Secretary: Luke Setzer said he would contact Steve Snipper of the LP Seminole
County for information about less costly auditors.
- Committee Reports:
- Membership: Ross Nordeen continues to update the membership database.
- Electoral Victory: The ExComm is still researching filing deadlines and past
campaign expenditures to get an idea for what to expect when the LPB prepares to run a
candidate for office.
- Media: Richard Hall shared more information about obtaining a bulk mail permit
for the LPB. He moved that the LPB purchase the $100 permit. Luke Setzer
seconded the motion, and the motion passed unanimously. The plan is to increase
membership through a huge mailout to all registered Libertarians in Brevard County.
Richard Hall requested printouts of various documents--minutes, newsletters, membership
applications--from Luke Setzer to supply to the Post Office as proof of our existence
before applying for the permit. The bulk mail postage supports enough per-piece
weight to allow us to send:
- An envelope
- A membership application
- A letter from the Chair
- A petition for some local issues
- A return envelope
- Monthly LPB Meeting
- Plans for February Meeting: Richard Hall will report on the stupidity of
America's foreign wars, while John Cornett will point out the absurdity of anti-gun
- Plans for March Meeting: A volunteer is needed to host the March social.
- Projects and Activities
- OPH Booth: No report.
- Adopt-A-Road: No report.
- New Projects: No report.
- Annual Budget: No report.
- Action Items:
- David Hobbs: Provide Luke Setzer with a soft copy of the upcoming campaign
vacancies for posting on the LPB web site.
- Lee McLamb: Provide John Cornett with info about the upcoming audit and
- Ross Nordeen: Generate a recent list of LPB meeting attendees and paid members
for local boards. Scan advisory board lists and forward to David.
Meeting adjourned at 8:00 PM.