The LPB Executive Committee (ExComm) met at Choo Choo's B-B-Q and Lounge in Cocoa on
March 3, 1999. The meeting commenced at 6:30 PM. Members present were Lee McLamb
(Chair), Luke Setzer (Secretary), Ross Nordeen (Membership Chair), Richard Hall (Media
Chair), David Hobbs (Vice Chair) and John Cornett (Treasurer).
- Officer Reports:
- Chair: Lee McLamb discussed the lessons learned from the "Platform
Presentation" February 25. It was very generous of Generale Sterling and
company to provide a pre-printed mailout for all 400+ local Libertarians in Brevard
County. He also reported that he would check on the tax-exempt status of local
affiliates of the Libertarian Party of Florida. Finally, he reported that he would
talk to Ilene Davis about performing the upcoming audit.
- Vice-Chair: David Hobbs announced his serious consideration of running for
state office in the 2000 elections.
- Treasurer: John Cornett suggested that the audit may be much simpler and
cheaper than originally thought. It may simply be a matter of John sending in a
letter to the Supervisor of Elections stating that the audit has been completed.
- Secretary: Luke Setzer reported that he would check on the cost of purchasing a
return-address rubber stamp for the LPB. This will be helpful for some mailouts.
He also suggested a $20 per month charge for advertisers in the LPB newsletter.
- Committee Reports:
- Membership: Lee McLamb moved to delete the LPB membership requirement
for being registered as a Libertarian in Brevard County. However, he did support
such registration as a prerequisite for holding a position as an officer or committee
chair in the LPB. The motion was seconded and passed.
- Electoral Victory: David Hobbs continues his search for upcoming elections in
- Media: To take advantage of the pre-printed petitions, mailing labels, and
envelopes provided by General Sterling, the LPB will do a major mailout to all
registered Libertarians in Brevard County. The ExComm will meet at Luke Setzer's
house Friday evening, March 5, to fold, stuff, and label envelopes. First-class
postage will be used for this mailout to detect bad mailing addresses that can be deleted
from the database. Each mailout will include a cover letter, petition, newsletter,
membership form, and return envelope.
- Monthly LPB Meeting
- Review of February Meeting: Everyone congratulated Richard Hall and John
Cornett on the fine job they did with their speeches at the February Platform
- Plans for March Meeting: The location for the March 27 social is To Be
Determined (TBD). The newsletter will include the LPB hotline number to call for
- Projects and Activities
- OPH Booth: No report.
- Adopt-A-Road: The LPB has abandoned all hope of making headway on this project.
It will be dropped from future minutes.
- New Projects: Operation Bootstrap is being undertaken by the
Libertarian Party of Florida with the help of its county affiliates. Its goal is to
bring in 2000 new members by the year 2000. The project methodology is still not
well-defined, but Lee McLamb will keep us informed as its definition becomes clearer.
- Annual Budget: No report.
- Action Items:
- David Hobbs: Provide Luke Setzer with a soft copy of the upcoming campaign
vacancies for posting on the LPB web site.
Meeting adjourned at 8:30 PM.