The LPB Executive Committee (ExComm) met at Bagel World in Satellite Beach on May 5,
1999. The meeting commenced at 6:00 PM. Members present were Lee McLamb (Chair),
Luke Setzer (Secretary), Ross Nordeen (Membership Chair), Richard Hall (Media Chair), John
Cornett (Treasurer) and David Hobbs (Vice Chair).
- Officer Reports:
- Chair: Lee McLamb reported that a member of the Florida LP will come to Brevard
County later this month to provide instruction on proper calling techniques for Operation
- Vice-Chair: David Hobbs reported that several people have volunteered to help
with petitions for the Home Rule Charter Committee. He recommended providing a
regular update on petition status in the newsletter. He also suggested that a
reference be made in the newsletter to the web site for changing voter registration
locally to Libertarian.
- Treasurer: John Cornett reported that we have a current balance of $443.66.
- Secretary: Luke Setzer made a motion to purchase the Dazzle Plus software
package to allow the LPB to obtain automation postage rates. This will save $10 per
month in postage costs, thus paying for the $60 software in six months. Lee McLamb
seconded the motion, and it carried unanimously. Luke also stated that newsletter
inputs are due by May 10. He will update the Standing Rules web page to reflect the
decision made a few meetings ago to relax the mandate that all LPB members be registered
as Libertarians. Finally, he mentioned that our LP Brevard eGroups account allows
for automated calendar announcements, and that he would start preparing those to preclude
the need to remember sending out such updates manually. An "Upcoming
Elections" web page has been added to the LPB web site with the help of David Hobbs.
- Committee Reports:
- Membership: Ross Nordeen regretted to inform us that no one showed up
for the Membership Committee meeting at his home on May 3. He also stated his intent
to run for the office of Vice Chair in June.
- Electoral Victory: No report (absent).
- Media: Richard Hall reported that he is continuing to send out calendar notices
on a regular basis to local publications.
- Monthly LPB Meeting
- Review of April Meeting: The April meeting was held at the Windover Farms
Pavilion with the help of John Cornett. The turnout was disappointing. In
discussing the declining attendance record, several suggestions for improvement were made:
- Garner regular speakers for each meeting.
- Ask for donations at each meeting.
- Play 50/50 raffles at each meeting.
- Name projects and solicit volunteers at each meeting.
- Plans for May Meeting: The May meeting will be held at The Mediterranean Grill
in Cocoa. The mission of this meeting will be:
- Get non-members to join.
- Get all to sign the "Separation of School and State Proclamation".
- Pass out extra newsletters.
- Pass out LPB brochures.
- Plans for June Meeting: The June meeting will be the LPB Annual Business
Meeting (ABM). The ExComm determined that the meeting would be best conducted in a
more formal, indoors atmosphere. Lee McLamb will quiz the LP Florida ExComm to see
if one of them can come to speak in June.
- Projects and Activities
- Charter Petition: David Hobbs continues to work this.
- Operation Bootstrap: The LPB has a list of volunteers for this project.
- Huge Garage Sale: Another "Huge Garage Sale" needs to happen to
replenish the LPB funds. Target date will be mid-July.
- Adopt-A-Road: This will be worked the last Sunday in June. Volunteers
will be solicited at the ABM.
- Action Items:
- Luke Setzer:
- Write LPB brochure (with World's Smallest Political Quiz) in time for May meeting.
- Contact Doug Butler of Space Coast Runners regarding how to set up a "Run for
Meeting adjourned at 8:30 PM.